Docks Incinerator Action Group – D.I.A.G.
This group non party-political voluntary group of Barry residents that was set up several years ago and was originally formed by members of the Friends of the Earth and has since grown in numbers.
You’re probably one of the thousands of residents in Barry that until a few weeks ago didn’t know anything about this incinerator plant!
The group is made up of teachers, solicitors, accountants and everyday good residential folk like yourselves, who are working hard as volunteers to protect the town. Who has organised protests, workshops, resident meetings as well as collect 10,000 names on a petition. Additionally we don’t believe that the incinerator should be anyone’s backyard!
Many of people have only recently become aware of this development, even though some of us live very close to the plant itself. This demonstrates what a failure the Vale of Glamorgan Councils’ consultation has been, which actually took place in 2015!
As you may have noticed in the months of March and April 2017 we have joined together and pooled our resources to try and prevent this monstrosity from firing up on our doorstep.
Please take a quick look through the “What you can do” page to help support the cause before its too late!
- Planning permission refused in 2008
- Overturned on appeal
- Vale Council paid 70,000 + in costs
- Planning allowed to lapse
- New permission sought and outline planning given in July 2015 – subject to over 30 conditions
- A legal error by the Planning Inspector meant that no statutory Environmental
Impact Assessment was required.
- Construction work started immediately without permit at developer’s own risk
- (43m chimney stack erected under cover of darkness in March 2017)
- Environmental Permit application to NRW made in Nov 2016
- NRW final decision made on 7th February 2018
To STOP the Barry Incinerator by:
1. Empowering the local community with the knowledge & information.
2. Using scientific & empirical data to legitimately support the campaign.
3. Seek out local resources & expertise. We are currently looking for a few hours of support from: legal representatives, people to hand out flyers, people with experience of petitions, etc
*If you have a skill set that you believe maybe valuable please step forward.
4. Empower our supporters with simple tools they can personally use to successfully campaign:
– Sample letters
– Petitions (written/online)
– Advanced notice of key events/ calendar dates that require action & support.
5. Organise local events such as march/demos to give the campaign a grass roots level feel & ownership by locals.
7. Gather support from local businesses, those that have a vested interest & power of influence:
– Housing Consortium – Barrett’s, Persimmon & Taylor Wimpey.
– Henry Danter
– Retailers: ASDA, Argos, Ty Pump, Snap gym etc.
8. Fund raising via Crowd funding & local support. see below fund raising section.
Funding The Future
You can use bank transfer by donating to the below account:
Acc name# Stop Barry Ash Dump
Sort code# 20-18-27
Acc # 73227014
VOG Council Planning file: https://is.gd/NYApQu